Drunken Scotland

No longer in use. Please see new site, www.columbiacritic.blogspot.com

Friday, May 20, 2005

The "articulate" black man. About a year ago, a friend proposed to me that there were certain words that were only used to describe a certain type of person, often due to an otherwise nonexistent respect for such people. One of the words he pointed out was "articulate" when used to describe a black man who could speak English eloquently. For whatever reason, I didn't want to believe that journalists and politicians were that predictable (me, naive?) so I did a LexisNexis search which was inconclusive. A majority of the references were to blacks, but there were also numerous references to other people, mostly white. Yet recently I've kept running across the articulate black, and am starting to become more convinced that the word is almost exclusively reserved for a well-spoken black man. In the January issue of Columbia College Today, it was noted that after Sen. Barack Obama's decisive election victory, President Bush called to tell him "You're one articulate fella."

Now I wonder, being not so well-versed in race relations or in sociology, does this sort of classification indicate racism? does it perpetuate racism? can i be articulate?

2 Comments:

  • At 5:15 PM, Blogger Ben A. Johnson said…

    Since I am well versed in race and sociological theory, I'll endeavor to answer your three questions:

    Yes.


    I've debated about leaving it there, but I won't. If you want a really interesting book on the way racism has changed in US society (i.e., it is no longer overt and now masks itself in many different ways--e.g. "articulate") check out Racial Formation in the United States by Michael Omi and Howard Winant. It's quite good and deals with the ways in which a lot of racial issues go unseen in the US.

     
  • At 7:22 PM, Blogger Ben A. Johnson said…

    reading the article you posted about conservative education reminded me of another:

    perky is often followed by blonde and is only used to describe women.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home