Drunken Scotland

No longer in use. Please see new site, www.columbiacritic.blogspot.com

Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Just a random thought. During lunch, I caught some of Star Trek: DS9 on cable, and it made me realize how much the health of the franchise depends on a strong captain figure in each show. In the shows that were highly successful and critically acclaimed (Star Trek, Next Generation, and DS9, if only in retrospect for the former), the captain was a dominant and impressive figure. Shatner as Kirk, Stewart as Picard, Brooks as Sisko. In Voyager, which always seemed to pale next to DS9, Mulgrew as Janeway was good, but she suffered from a weaker cast and show, and didn't carry the show to the same degree. And Enterprise, the latest venture, and by far the least successful? I'm sorry, but Scott Bakula has never impressed me, I hated Quantum Leap, and he is the poster child for an unimpressive captain.

Actually, now that I think about it, I quite miss DS9. And if NGeneration didn't look so early 90s (90210 in Space!), I would miss it more.

1 Comments:

  • At 8:20 PM, Blogger Ben A. Johnson said…

    I was going to write a really long thing about Star Trek (I wrote half of it) but then I realized it shows me as too much of a nerd. Anyway, in sum: Voyager is better than people give it credit for. So is DS9. But, I agree: Enterprise sucks (it suffers too much from what I like to call "20/20 foresight" among other issues).

     

Post a Comment

<< Home